Test automation techniques were in place even before Scriptless entered the scene. However, these traditional techniques had to confront certain challenges. To begin with, businesses had to invest heavily in test infrastructure, complex scripting environments, and dependable tools. Additionally, they had to hire and train individuals to handle them. Regular maintenance of scripts was another expensive affair. Then again, traditional testing methods were rather time-consuming. Therefore, receipt of feedback was slow too. At the end of the day, neither the business owners nor the functional teams could fully comprehend the automated scripts.
Scriptless test automation seemed like the perfect solution for the above-mentioned issues. The most delighted „users‟ are DevOps and Agile! Both are software development methods, with a little twist in the underlying approach. However, both grant great importance to time, for marketplace trends never stay the same for long. Therefore, they require quick testing of products/services before offering them to the public.
What is a ‘Scriptless’ testing tool and how does it work?
A Scriptless Test Automation tool provides an abstraction from the underlying test automation code such that the creation of a test is more focused on business logic validation. The human effort required to create a test is drastically simplified – instead of writing code, you would simply indicate which steps need to be performed. The Scriptless tool then internally translates those human-friendly steps into the actual execution code behind the scenes during test execution. The result: an ultra-accessible interface to define your tests without having to write any code.
Ideally, a scriptless testing tool should have the ability to:
- Easily generate test steps in a test case
- Store reusable elements or objects
- Record test cases
- Execute test cases on multiple browsers/versions
- Execute tests cases both on-premise and in the cloud
- Handle test data variance
- Report on test outcomes and
- Integrate with the rest of our tooling It is Reliable and Maintainable
Since scriptless test automation is a well-structured method, it guarantees the simpler and maintenance of test suites. In software development/testing, there are critical and long stages. The maintenance phase is probably one of the most tiring procedures.
Automation testing created with scripts has a high risk of failing during the maintenance phase because the framework is not built with reusability, maintainability, and traceability in mind. Manual testing tools, on the other hand, maintain traceability of all reusable components, making the automation process as object-oriented as possible. When you‟re looking for a software testing tool, we have a well-tailored product for you. While creating sophisticated automated tests, there‟s no code writing required. Testers and other team members can automate their tests on web, desktop, mobile, cloud services, API, IoT, and other platforms.
Why switch to scriptless testing?
- Prevent and Minimize the Cost of Building Skills for Scripting
- Eliminate Tool-Specific Coding
- Allow Business Analysts and other Subject Matter Experts to Participate
- User-Friendly Interface
- Support the Speed of the Development Cycle
- Effortless Document Processes and Changes
- There are no Programming Skills Required
- Avoid Testing Related Errors
- The Test Scripts Are Stress-free to Create
- Highly Reusable Scripts
A Better Option for Customization: Sometimes, changes or enhancements in the flow of the application under test are necessary. While it is impossible to make a change in some forms of software testing, codeless automation has good options for customization.
There are Different Testing Methods Used: Various methods are used in scriptless testing methods. These include natural language processing, Model-based testing, recording screenshots, image-based scriptless automation, drag & drop-based object mapping, keyword-driven testing, and more. As a branch of artificial intelligence, NLP aims at making interactions with a machine. Integrated into manual testing tools, NLP makes test automation simple. Writing down a test case, for instance, can be written in English. Recording screenshots, on the other contrary, is useful when the focus is on visual testing. It uses AI to update test cases when
changes are encountered in the US of the application under test. Tools record a test case in the form of screenshots when there is an action done by manual testers and other users.
The day to day activities of an Automation Tester includes:
- Maintenance of created test cases. Making sure they run after every check-in and every failure is
- Integration of the automated test cases with the reporting, analytics, and CI/CD tool so that the test run results are known to the concerned people and any major hiccup is averted before the website reaches the
- Figuring out the infrastructure needed for the execution of automated test cases and reporting and analyzing
General Features For Scriptless Test Platforms
Traditionally, Automated Testing requires complex script development, often requiring strong engineering skill sets. Moreover, these test scripts tend to be “brittle”
i.e. they break as the app changes, or as the app executes on different devices.
This is the appeal of Scriptless automation platforms. They offer organizations a low- complexity and cost-effective opportunity to harness the power of Automated Testing, without the associated complexity or cost of script development.
Thus, it is imperative while selecting a mobile Scriptless Automation platform to ensure that:
- Test scripts can be created in an intuitive “no-code”
- The test scripts can execute on a broad array of devices and operating systems without breaking
- The test scripts can be exported in an open standard (eg. Appium) to prevent vendor lock-in.
Advantages of Scriptless Test Automation
- Good for Technical and Non-Technical Users: IT professionals are aware that something called a „code‟ comes into play during testing. They understand it very well. However, business analysts struggle to comprehend it! Scriptless automation testing does not rely on the code. Therefore, the testers save on time, as well as enhance the scalability of automated
- Speeds up a time to market: The framework of Scriptless is such that it reduces the time spent on the development of scripts, and hence it becomes possible to develop software programs faster. Testers bring together a set of test cases (collectively called test suites) to examine the behavior of each program. They even test for bugs. Fortunately, for them, the outcomes or
feedbacks are quick. Positive results ensure the quick delivery of these programs to the marketplace.
- Makes Everything Cost-Effective: When there is hardly any complexity involved, costs come down. The testing design is simple, and so is the software development process. The user-friendly automation eliminates technical obligation. It also reduces maintenance expenses
Insight International (UK) Ltd is one platform that can help you go scriptless. For more information visit our website www.insightinc.co.uk or contact us at 44(0)- 7587901161; +44(0)-2074171712.